Fall Traditions

A local pumpkin patch in Spartanburg. (Photo courtesy (https://kiddingaroundspartanburg.com)

Whether it’s hanging out with friends on Halloween or waking up on Thanksgiving Day morning to run the Turkey Trot 8K, Spartanburg has a variety of fall traditions to appeal to the community. 

One special tradition Lydia Vereen (12) loves to participate in is Halloween. Even as a senior in high school, she feels she is not too old to celebrate the holiday.  

I like getting free candy and seeing everyone’s costumes, Vereen said. 

The Turkey Trot is another tradition participated in by residents of Spartanburg. The event is an annual 8K race that has been established since 2005. Even with COVID-19, the race is still scheduled for Thursday, Nov. 26, with a few necessary precautionsAccording to active-living.org, citizens will not be able to register at the venue on race day, as there is a limited number of runners allowed. There will also be no onsite bathrooms in order to discourage people from congregating in tight spaces. 

Rookhie Sullivan (10)member of the cross country team, enjoyed running the Turkey Trot in years past.

It’s usually very cold, but very fun, especially when running with friends.  It’s a great way to end the cross country season, Sullivan said. 

For those not inclined to run an 8K, they may instead choose to stay in their pajamas and watch the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. The first ever Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade was celebrated in 1924 and has become a well-known event.

Anna Beeson (9) is committed to watching the parade every year and was even able to see it in person. 

I think that it was really cool to see how big the balloons and floats were in person. It was also fun to watch all of the different performances, Beeson said.

Like most activities during COVID-19, this year’s parade will be a little bit different. According to CNN Business, the parade will still be accessible through NBC on Thanksgiving morning, but those participating in person will follow social distancing guidelines.

Each year Spartanburg High School participates in their own special fall tradition led by Student Council, where each member fills a bag for a family in need each year before Thanksgiving. Technology Assistant and House of Representatives co-sponsor Michele Troncoso likes this tradition because of how all staff and students come together to help our community.

“During the holidays, there are families who struggle to put food on the table. The pandemic has made things more difficult. If we can donate food to feed families in our community to help them out, we can make a difference. I think that is a very important thing to do,” Troncoso said.

Through it all, fall traditions will continue on, with only a few changes in the face of the global pandemic.