Vikings Swim to Multiple State Records

The+varsity+girls+swim+team+poses+with+their+trophy+after+placing+second+in+the+5A+state+championship.+

Photo courtesy Annika McEnroe

The varsity girls swim team poses with their trophy after placing second in the 5A state championship.

Grace Till, News Editor/Co-Editor-in-Chief

Both the girls’ and boys’ swim teams accomplished group and individual wins during their seasons. The teams were represented at the state championship for their region division and set new state records.

The girls placed second overall in the 5A state championship, falling right behind Wando High School. Competitors included Sophie Kannee (12), Caroline Byers (8), Anna Buchert (10), Annika McEnroe (12), Kirsti McEnroe (11) and Teagan McEnroe (8). K. McEnroe set a state record in the 200-meter freestyle, while A. McEnroe set a state record for both the 100 butterfly and 200 individual medley. A fourth state record was set by the 400-meter free relay team. Additionally, these swimmers helped Spartan High win the Region 2-5A title prior to state.

Seniors A. McEnroe and Sophie Kannee will continue their swimming careers in college. McEnroe is committed to the University of California Berkeley, and Kannee is signed with Denison University located in Granville, Ohio. Both girls officially signed to their respective colleges in the Fine Arts Center on Nov. 11.

Jacob Price (12) was the only boy to qualify for state, placing third and eighth in his divisions.

“I’m proud of placing third in the 200 free because it was one of my career records,” Price said. “I’m also proud of my girl teammates for competing so well.”