Changing the Classic Converse

Converse University takes on a new name, student body and staff

Photo by L. Chandler

Converse University is upgrading and changing over the 2021-2022 school year.

Leah Chandler, Variety Editor

Since the early 19th Century, Converse University has been a local landmark known for its quaint campus and strong art programs. Recently, it’s gone through major changes, upgrading the classic campus.  

Recently, Converse changed the original, alliterative name to Converse University. This change in title recognizes the graduate programs the school offers. However, Converse has been offering graduate programs for the last 55 years and only recently has updated the title. The change in name is to hopefully attract more students as universities offer programs that colleges cannot, such as a comprehensive graduate program.  

Abby Brown (11) who volunteers at Converse University’s Fine Arts Day Camp over the summer saw the preparation as well as the beginning of these changes and was initially hesitant. 

“A part of me realizes this is better for the institution, but on the other hand, it feels like they’re changing an integral part of their history. It’s just weird seeing all this change around the campus,” Brown said.

“A part of me realizes this is better for the institution, but on the other hand, it feels like they’re changing an integral part of their history. It’s just weird seeing all this change around the campus.”

— Abby Brown

During the announcement for the name change early this year at a press conference, Phyllis Perrin Harris, a chairwoman on the Converse Board of Trustees discussed some of the benefits to the new name.

“Our new university status proudly recognizes the strength of the academics at Converse, the fact that an extraordinary 98% of our faculty hold a terminal degree in their field and the work we‘ve done to grow opportunity, launch degrees and establish Converse is an exciting new light,” Harris said. 

Converse, as of this year, has also become fully co-ed. For nearly two centuries, Converse University was an all-female school with the occasional male student allowed to study permitted in 1955. In lieu of the COVID-19 pandemic, the co-ed adaptation became even more useful for local graduates seeking a place closer to home. Converse reviewed research where an admission rate grew over 70% when colleges switched to a co-ed program. This concept, announced in February of 2020, came as a shock to everyone, although it overall has benefitted local students tremendously. 

Olivia Bishop (11) is interested in becoming a creative writing major at Converse and was surprised by the change in student body at the university. 

“When I first heard that Converse was going co-ed, I didn’t really like it but now I don’t mind it.  I think it is going to allow the college to grow and I’ll be able to meet more people, boys and girls,” Bishop said. 

Along with the planned changes in the student body, the faculty has gone through rough changes in the past few months. President Krista Newkirk moved to University of the Redlands in California early this summer with many congratulations and sweet goodbyes. Jeffrey Barker took over the president position once Newkirk moved away. Barker had worked at the school for 20 years prior to becoming president. However, everything halted in July when newly-appointed President Barker tragically died in a biking accident. After Barker’s death, Boone Hopkins was announced as interim president for the remainder of the 2021-2022 school year, and the president for next school year still remains unknown.