Senior Scholars

Skinner, Stone receive academic and extracurricular honors

Photo by J. Bryant

Cooper Stone (12) and Elizabeth Skinner (12) pose for their Senior Superlative photo. They were named as “Most Intellectual” by their classmates.

Violette Franke

As this school year comes to an end, seniors throughout the nation are reflecting upon their high school careers. Spartanburg High School offers a variety of extracurriculars and an exceptional number of honors and advanced placement classes for students who strive to be the best.

Elizabeth Skinner (12) and Cooper Stone (12) are both exemplary scholars who used these resources to their advantage. Together they won the “most intellectual” superlative and their many achievements and academic successes as Vikings reflect their curiosity for learning, time management skills and willingness to work.
Elizabeth Skinner excelled in both academics and extracurriculars. She has taken many AP classes and has been involved in numerous clubs. She is a co-captain of the Ethics Bowl Team and was selected for ALA Palmetto Girls State. She was titled an “Outstanding Senior” by AP Language teacher Erin Hubbell, who commended her for her eagerness to learn and passion for dance.

AP Literature teacher, Jessica Stevens, appreciates Elizabeth’s dedication to becoming the best student possible.
“She is brilliant, inquisitive, aware, thoughtful, studious, responsible, determined and talented. But most importantly, Elizabeth is kind and courageous. She is the kind of woman who lifts others up. She is the kind of woman who fights for the good of this world,” Stevens said. “Elizabeth is an inspiration to her peers, but also her teachers. It has been an honor to work with and learn from her this year. ”

Outside of school, Skinner dances at Ballet Spartanburg. She has been an integral part of the ballet company, dancing in countless performances throughout her career. Skinner is also involved in philanthropic work. In 2021, she established her own fundraiser called Raise the Barre to donate equipment to aspiring ballerinas in Africa. She plans to further her educational career at Williams College where she will study chemistry.

Cooper Stone is another example of an exceptional Viking scholar. He has taken a multitude of AP classes in his high school career and was titled a National Merit Semifinalist, meaning he was in the top 1% of the nation’s score on the PSAT. He has been a lettering varsity athlete on the tennis team throughout high school.

Joseph Anderson teaches Stone in both AP Government and AP Microeconomics and admires his focus and devotion to his education.
“Mr. Stone is an intelligent, driven and openminded young man. He is well liked by his teachers. While quiet at times, Cooper lets his work speak for itself, as he has earned top marks in an extremely rigorous course load,” Anderson said. “It has been a joy to see this hard work be rewarded as Cooper embarks on his next academic journey at Georgia Tech. Cooper has been a credit to what education is supposed to be.”

On top of playing on the varsity tennis team, Stone is also involved in club volleyball and is a member of the United Way Youth Philanthropy Board. He plans to continue his education at Georgia Institute of Technology.