“Dead Poets Society”

An emotional coming of age story that follows the development of creativity in a group of young men

Photo courtesy cnn.com

The group of young men learn independence and creativity from their new teacher.

George Proctor, Opinion/Editorial Editor

For this issue of Movie Madness, Will Eaton (12) and George Proctor (11) have chosen a movie to fit the upcoming winter atmosphere.
“Dead Poets Society” is a film following a group of boys starring Robert Sean Leonard as Neil Perry, the main protagonist of the story; Ethan Hawke as Todd Anderson, Perry’s shy and soft-spoken roommate; and Gale Hanson as the confident Charlie Dalton. The setting of the film is in a strict, prestigious boarding school. The story progresses through the first semester of classes, transitioning from the bright and colorful leaves of fall to the upcoming white of winter.
The story begins with the group of boys’ first day of the school year, as they meet their new English teacher, John Keating, played by Robin Williams. Keating immediately contrasts himself from the other teachers at the school with his strong support of creativity and passion instead of the strict focus on academics. The young men find their professor used to be a part of a secret poetry club and decide they want to carry on its legacy by starting the club amongst themselves. They spend countless nights sneaking out of their rooms to meet in a small cave, sharing poems back and forth with one another. The boys are imbued with a new passion for art they bring into their everyday lives, truly changing their character forever.
Keating’s presence in the boys’ lives forever alters them and changes the way that they see the world. The Latin phrase “carpe diem” is spoken of repeatedly throughout the film, bringing the lesson to both the protagonists and the viewer to “seize the day.”
This movie is an incredible watch with its gripping plot, relatable themes and breathtaking performances by the cast. The film deserves a solid 8/10, solidifying its role as a classic for decades to come.