A Strong Finish for the Boys Tennis Team

The Viking Tennis team finished the season after a narrow loss in the third round of playoffs

Dev Patel, Chief Financial Officer, Variety Co-Editor

Determination and consistency are what drives the boys varsity tennis team to be such a successful program at Spartanburg High School. The boys consistently showcase impressive seasons and compete with the best in the state for a chance at another championship. The program has become accustomed to winning state often, and this year is no different with the team having a strong season.

Nearing the playoffs with a 10-2 record, players on the team such as Jerome Falcon (12) and Price Nelson (10) have been trying to keep their foot on the pedal in preparation for the playoffs.

Nelson believes the team’s season was a great opportunity to learn and grow as individuals as well as a team.

“We gave up some close games to some difficult opponents that we will have to see again in the playoffs, but those were early in the season and our top four are very reliable winning the majority of matches this season,” Nelson said.

Falcon has been a consistent contributor for the team since his seventh grade season, accomplishing an impressive record of 62-3 and remaining undefeated in competition this season alone with an 8-0 record. The Vikings came up short early in the season to a currently undefeated JL Mann team that looks favorable in the playoffs and received another loss versus a Spartanburg Day School team in their second matchup; however Falcon still believes these losses don’t define the team’s season.

The Colgate commit finished his Viking career off on a high note, earning second place in the state individual championship, which took place on May 9.

“It was a strong season for us nearing the playoffs with a 10-2 record. We would have loved to win another championship, but it wasn’t meant to be. Everyone has been improving throughout the season, which is great for the team as a whole,” Falcon said.

Although the season did not end exactly the way the players wanted, the team looks strong for future wins.

The Vikings finished the season strong with a close 4-2 loss against JL Mann in the Upper State Championship, after beating Clover and TL Hanna in the first two rounds of playoffs. The team looks strong for next season, with four of the top five players returning.