Vikings are Victorious

The best way to end a week full of school spirit

Photo by S. Mok

After scoring a touchdown against Mauldin, two Vikings celebrate in the endzone.

Lars Harris, Sports Co-Editor

Homecoming is an iconic American high school tradition that is shared across the nation. The Homecoming football game is a highlight of the student life every year at most schools and Spartanburg High school is no different. After a week full of fun dress up days, activities and Fun Lunch, the Vikings were ready to defeat their opponent on the football field, the Mauldin Mavericks. After a victorious game the previous Friday night, the Vikings looked to further their winning streak.

Senior Will Maeder describes the game and atmosphere of Homecoming week as nothing short of memorable.

“Participating in the dress up days and the hype during the football game made the week unforgettable,” Maeder said.

Off to a hot start under those Friday night lights, quarterback Raheim Jeter (12) completed a 48-yard touchdown pass to Ra’el Senghor (11). To extend the lead, Jeter threw another exciting 52-yard touchdown pass to Que Moore (12). As the electric atmosphere in the stadium was rising, the wide receivers boosted the team’s morale with explosive plays. Jeter’s 20-yard pass to Andrew Dantin (12) secured the team’s victory with a 35-3 win.

Quarterback Raheim Jeter (11) enjoyed playing his role in the Vikings success against Mauldin.

“Homecoming is a special night not only for the person elected queen, but also for us football players.  A big win made it more of an eventful night,” Jeter said.

Outstanding offensive athletes of the game consisted of Jeter, who had an 80% pass completion rating with 225 passing yards and three touchdown completions. Rah’Keith Kelly (9) and Senghor also had outstanding games with Kelly rushing for 75 yards and eight carries and Senghor with 91 receiving yards and four receptions leaving him with an average of 22.8 yards per reception.

Wide Receiver Tyler Mathis (12) found the experience of the game as historic and memorable.

“Seeing all of the Viking fans and former players coming out to support us made the night even more special,” Mathis said.

The Vikings left the field victorious and a sense of hope for their final oncoming games.